(Reuters) - A South Carolina couple sued doctors and state social workers on Tuesday for subjecting a 16-month-old child born with both male and female genitalia to what they say was medically unnecessary and irreversible sex-assignment surgery while the toddler was in foster care.
The state and…
gay vampire ghost opera dubstep for those who missed it
JEsus you weren’t kidding
Welcome to the Eurovision.
GOD BLESS ROMANIA
goD DAMMIT I WANTED TO keep being smug about not having to care about eurovision because i’m american
THIS IS HILARIOUSLY ENTERTAINING
“You have to question a cinematic culture which preaches artistic expression, and yet would support a decision that is clearly a product of a patriarchy-dominant society, which tries to control how women are depicted on screen. The MPAA is okay supporting scenes that portray women in scenarios of sexual torture and violence for entertainment purposes, but they are trying to force us to look away from a scene that shows a woman in a sexual scenario which is both complicit and complex. It’s misogynistic in nature to try and control a woman’s sexual presentation of self. I consider this an issue that is bigger than this film.”
-Ryan Gosling on the controversy around the rating of his film ‘Blue Valentine’
but i mean “pomme de terre” and “pineapple” are named the way they are named for basically the exact same reason and if you don’t find that hilarious and lovely and fabulous we just can’t be friends
I love how potato in French is pomme de terre, which pretty much means “earth apple.”
like what stupid frenchman saw this:
and said “zis petite légume looks like a, how you say, APPLE! hmmm… but it grows in ze earth… HON HON HON! MAIS OUI! C’EST UNE POMME DE TERRE!”
j’adore comment ananas se dit pineapple en anglais, ce qui veut littéralement dire “pomme de pin”, genre quel type anglais a vu ça:
et s’est dit : “ow cette étrange big fruit ressemble à une, how do you say, POMME! hmmm… mais plutôt une pomme qui pousse dans les pins… HU HU HU! OH YES, IT’S A PINEAPPLE!”
Merci de cette réponse glorieuse.
but one moment aside from joking, as i understand it: “apple” used to be a more generic term than it is today, and was applied to many fruits (tomatoes were love apples, the weird-ass fruit of the oak tree is an “oak apple,” etc), and way back in the whenever it kind of sort of meant “fruit.” the term “pineapple” derives from the smushing together of the spanish name “piña de indes” (first attributed to columbus) with that more generic word for fruit, so the reasonably logical “piña-apple” (“piña fruit”) became the very silly-sounding “pineapple” (while love apples became tomatoes, apples were just apples, and everyone decided to pretend the oak tree didn’t have any fruit, i guess). similarly, the french “pomme” is from the latin “pomum,” which literally just means fruit, so “pomme de terre,” or “fruit of the earth,” would be a pretty logical name for a potato. the “apple” of the bible was, for everything under auspices of the holy roman empire, the “fruit of fruits,” (or pomum… of… poma….? obviously latin is not really my strong suit) so really it’s the name “apple” for apples and “pommes” for pommes that’s silly (“it’s a fruit! we’ll call it fruit!”).
I have someone staying in my hotel tonight that made me think that this would be worth sharing here.
If you are running away/trying to hide from someone that is frightening, abusing, harassing you, and you find yourself staying in a hotel to avoid being found, there’s an extra precaution you can take.
When you check in, ask the front desk clerk to put you as “Unlisted”. They’ll know what you’re talking about. What this means is that as far as anyone other than you and the front desk clerks are concerned, you’re not there. If someone tries to call for you and your room, “I’m sorry. I don’t have anyone registered under that name.” Same thing goes for it someone shows up at the desk. “Unlisted” means you’re untouchable.
Please, please, if you find yourself in trouble and seeking refuge in a hotel, do this. It’s really quick, easy, and painless for the front desk clerk to do, and they are not going to judge you for it.
As a hotel worker, no. Sorry. “Unlisted” is not some secret passcode. And your average hotel clerk will have no idea what you’re talking about.
Just tell them that you don’t want anyone to know that you’re there. It’ll go into their notes and they will try their best. BUT. Ask when their shift change is, so you can call and repeat yourself to the next shift worker, because they might not absorb those notes.
Going to add a little more:
I am NOT ALLOWED to leave your name off my listing of who is in what room. I have to SEE YOUR ID and have you sign that name, and only that name. That list is kept in several places, which I won’t list here but if your pursuer has ever worked in ANY hotel, he’ll know where to look for them. These places are NOT LOCKED UP because we have to access them multiple times a shift sometimes with no notice, and guests (like you!) are never patient enough to wait for us to go get something out of a safe so they can check out or whatever. These lists are not in the public view. But they are not 100% protected either. Even in a very high end hotel, which mine is.
All that said, if you ask, I CAN put a false name on your folio. Then THAT name goes onto that list, and that’s safer for you. We will have to note WHY we are using a false name (give as little detail as you want), and we will STILL have to have your real name+notes in the computer and on your credit card authorization slip.
Also, while this will of course vary from hotel to hotel:
If you come in and say that you need a room and it’s an emergency, you’re being followed, whatever, I STILL have to put you through the steps of checking in, and I STILL have to have either a credit card, or cash in the entire amount plus a generous deposit. I’m a desk clerk. I don’t have the authority to put you in a room without going through the procedure. It’s a well-known SCAM to get free rooms that we got warned about in training, and if no obvious follower turned up, I would be fired on the spot. My livelihood is MY safety, and I have to put my own oxygen mask on first. You CAN circumvent this if you are there in the early afternoon by asking for a manager. Just be aware that they usually go home by three.
very important info in these responses
- drake hit on nicki minaj and claimed he fell in love with her when they first met and invited her to get food with him and later on in the day he showed up at her door with food she took it and slammed the door in his face
- nicki minaj called out steven tyler for making a racist comment and wouldn’t let it go until he publicly apologized to her
- nicki minaj makes sure that when her younger relatives listen to her music that they listen to the clean version
- when eminem used a homophobic slur in her song she was incredibly uncomfortable about it and spoke to several people in her music team about what she should do about it
- she literally tried to give her fans instructions on how to make brownies on twitter
- I REALLY LOVE NICKI MINAJ
can i also just
- she called out perez hilton, who put on his blog “that she told rihanna to sit her ass down” and she responded with “I AM SICK OF THE SHIT YOU PUT UP! DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THE SHIT YOU POST?”
- when nicki minaj performed her first show the stage wasn’t lightning properly and after the show she yelled at her team and the first thing that came out was “MY FANS STAYED OUT FROM 7 PM TO 1 AM TO SEE ME, THEY DON’T DESERVE THIS”
- one time after a show the crowd was so loud after a performance she went back out and performed in her robe
- she put bacon in the microwave
- even though lil wayne told her not to she bought him a brand new motorcycle with his name engraved on it
- after the American idol q&a she stayed afterwards to talk to her fans and even pushed her security guard out of the way so she can get closer
- when asked if she could donate to a can food drive she said no she couldn’t because she didn’t have any cans, but she felt so bad she donated $15,000
- this face:
- She called out sexism in the music industry while putting on her eyeliner perfectly.
- Her song “I’m the best”
- She speaks her mind and doesn’t back down.
- She is adamant about the fact that femininity doesn’t have only one definition and that femininity is powerful.
You can like or dislike her music as you see fit, but she’s an awesome person who owns her self image, and that is cool as hell.
when im rich the first thing im doing is getting laser hair removal on every inch of my body that isn’t my head
you’ll look pretty funny without eyebrows
im at least 3% sure that my eyebrows r on my head